Born to two musician parents in Jamaica, her earliest memories include falling asleep on lounge chairs at mom and dad’s practice sessions and long hours in the recording studio. Soon enough, she found herself behind the microphone. “I was five-years-old, and my daddy’s band was having a rehearsal,” recalls Tessanne. “I don’t know what came over me because normally the kids weren’t allowed to go and mess with the musical instruments or equipment. However, I picked up the mic and started singing ‘Stand By Me’. They backed me on guitar, and I knew from that moment it was what I wanted to do. The feeling being up there was indescribable. It changed my life.
- Tessanne started performing when she was six years old with Cathy Levy’s Little People and Teen Players Club, one of Jamaica’s top performing arts schools.
- Her mother was the trumpeter and singer in The Carnations and her father was the band’s drummer. Most of her vocal coaching came from her mother, as well as noted vocal coach Lecie Wright.
- In efforts to spread awareness and to eradicate Polio. Polio Ambassador, Tessanne partnered with Rotary International on “World Polio Day” in which she made a performance at the event “World Polio Day and a live global update” held in Chicago, IL on October 24, 2014.
- Tessanne’s exotic looks come from the mixed ethnicity of her family, embodying the Jamaican motto “Out of many one people”. Tessanne’s father is of mixed Chinese and Cherokee American ethnicity whilst her mother is of mixed black (Jamaican) and white (English) ethnicity.
- A friend had an idea for me to audition for The Voice.” That “friend” happened to be none other international reggae pop sensation Shaggy.
- Tessanne did a commercial for Clear Hair. Tessanne’s NEW Clear Hair Commercial aired during TheVoice’ #BlindsContinue on Monday, March 2, 2015.
Tessanne Chin – Hideaway
Tessanne Chin: “Try” – The Voice Highlight
Officical Tessanne Chin Website
Tessanne Chin Biography
The Voice 2015 – Tessanne Chin: Damage Proof (Digital Exclusive)